Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

conniebv
Participant

Fan entitlement is a great one. I think that it actually comes back directly to why you watch the show. If you are a fan that read this book decades ago, you may feel you are owed fidelity to the story as you remember it. If you are a fan who has only ever watched the show, you may experience some difficulty with the let’s say um, vintage views that will be expressed. If you are active on social media, you may feel that you are owed interaction when you produce content to promote the show. Some people are now selling chapbooks with their memes! I have also had conversations online with people crushed when Sam doesn’t follow them or respond to their daily tweets. I don’t want to be unkind because for some, fandom is a motivating force that helps alleviate depression and that’s great, but I can’t wrap my head around the idea that they owe us personally and individually for their success, even if they do owe the fandom as an entity.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll repeat it here. I personally have zero expectations and I am really thrilled when anything good happens to me as a result of my fandom. Hell, the day Diana told me I was funny I squealed like a little girl, and I remember every favorite or RT with happiness. But I also never tag the cast on anything because I’m not trying to self-promote. I just really love this damn show and I’m grateful for it.

I wonder if any of it has to do with folks being on Twitter now that don’t have an idea of basic etiquette, and just go nuts?