Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

MrsParker
Participant

Sometimes all this confusion between the actor and the character makes me think of Clark Gable in “Gone with the wind”.

Hooray for old movies! I’m reminded of Rita Hayworth. After “Gilda” she was such a sex symbol, yet was unlucky in love. She said (paraphrase): “Men wanted to go to bed with Gilda but ended waking up with Rita Hayworth.” I feel that way about Mr. Heughan, that because he was not well-known to many audiences, this is the only character we’ve seen him play and thus there’s a blurry line between the actor and the character. I think he’s doing a wonderful job portraying Jamie, but outside of that, he doesn’t do much for him. He comes across as very nice, funny, snarky, playful, etc. but he’s just not my type. Maybe that’s why there’s that separation for me.

(From Connie): One of the issues raised recently was that if Sam did choose to speak out, perhaps this would result in followers leaving him, but I want to present as examples both Stephen Amell and Orlando Jones.

I follow Orlando Jones and I love the way he will smack down the inappropriate chatter. I’ve seen a few of the bigger names do this, too. JMO, but Mr. Heughan’s fame is new and maybe a bit fragile at this stage. The show needs this large fanbase to keep going. This may explain the ANYTHING GOES! mindset of the marketing team and why they’re being quiet on the obnoxious fan front.

(From Connie again, she’s just fabulous!): I think we could all benefit from some education surrounding these issues. I want to take it away from objectification a bit and focus on why it might be difficult for us to wrap our head about this, and why it gets so heated, but frankly I don’t want to get snapped at.

Connie, I would like to explore this as well, and maybe we together we can withstand the snapping! It’s interesting that this thread is a volatile one and that some people really dig in their heels and insist that their viewpoint must be the correct one. Everyone agrees objectification is wrong, but we don’t agree on what objectification actually is. Some think it’s anytime you look at person, some think it’s when you comment on a person’s appearance, and some think it’s when you say anything overtly sexual in a public space.

The majority (okay ALL) of this thread is female and I think we’ve all had to deal with objectification to varying degrees at some point in our lives. We have to balance being a sexual creature with uninvited attention and commentary. Sometimes it’s fun to objectified — at times I like walking into a room with my high heels and little black dress and knowing that I look good. It’s part of my power (and yes, I know I am just as powerful in my workboots and flannel shirt when on the farm). Sometimes it stinks, like when I used to work in a “real” office and someone would lean over my desk just to get a look down my shirt and I would shrink into myself and just try to get my work done as fast as possible.

So, I think because we’ve had to deal with moments of being uncomfortable, threatened, or even attacked simply for being a sexual creature (meaning: human being), it makes the empathetic amongst us sensitive to whenever it happens to someone else. Depending on your experience with being objectified, your emotional response may vary.

I’m not sure we need to reach an overall consensus. I think there needs to be more listening and less pontificating, less monologues and more dialogues. All opinions here are valid, even those that don’t jive with your own experiences.

Snap away!