Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the TV portrayal of the "Strong Woman"

conniebv
Participant

Good point. I think for me, and based on what I linked originally, it’s a woman who is both decisive and sensitive. Of course Agent Carter is a great example. Claire in the books was frankly a bit coarse for me at times, but Cait manages to imbue her with some softness that I really appreciate. So I think what they market as a strong female lead is getting away from the tough broad and now is TV-speak for “Hey this woman gets to call a few shots and is onscreen a lot, it’s not just a sausage party.”

I’m going through this with Arrow right now. They write many of the female characters beautifully, and one as a whiny sorority stereotype, and THIS is the girl they have chosen to make into probably the best most kickass female fighter in the DCU. They keep marketing her as a strong female, but whenever she opens her mouth she sounds like a tween. There isn’t consistency even in the same show, and that’s sad, because kicking ass alone won’t make you strong in my book.

I feel like I am all over the place but my coffee is too hot to drink so that is what you get.