Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the TV portrayal of the "Strong Woman"

conniebv
Participant

I’ve been overly aware of the need for Trans-inclusivity in the world of feminism and what it means to be a strong female character. I’m interested in your insight into the topic?

Oh wow, you’re a counselor! I studied to be a therapist but never finished. Feelsnerds unite!
So there was a psychology of sexuality class I took that said that the reason tweens are so difficult is that when you initially go through puberty, you tend to overemphasize stereotypical gender traits and then over the course of your young adulthood, hopefully pull back from this deep end until you reach a comfortable middle.
THIS is how I feel most trans people I see on film are painted, as overly feminized and largely homogenous. We met a couple once, a 50ish transgender woman who kept her profession after she transitioned (car mechanic), and her wife, who had married her back in their teens and now identified as lesbian. She did very little in the way of makeup or jewelry, but she had these great red nails. When asked why she didn’t “look more feminine” she replied “I’m a tomboy.”
I need more of that, if that makes sense.