Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the TV portrayal of the "Strong Woman"

JB
Participant

[quote quote=6832]Gwendoline Christie, the actress that plays Brienne, is 6ft 3inches tall (just like me). I was super excited when she was cast to play in GOT, but then I realized that the tall woman was being typecast as the masculine ass kicking character, “All my life men like you’ve sneered at me, and all my life I’ve been knocking men like you into the dust.” ―Brienne to Jaime Lannister[src].[/quote]

Glam: Definitely get around to reading the books. I haven’t watched all the seasons of GoT, but I’ve read all the books, and I think Brienne is portrayed as much gentler on the page. Or at least more well-rounded. She is very much besotted with Renly and is able to be open about those feelings (at least to Catelyn), and then she quickly develops warm, maternal feelings for Jaime. I definitely got the feeling from the books that she had both sides: the emotional center but also a big, strong body that she could use to fight for what she thought was just and right. I think the casting of Christie is perfect, too. Can’t wait to see her in Star Wars!