Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

barbc624
Participant

I have been accused of “shouting people down” here and made the decision to step away from this topic as I felt I had said what I had to say about it, and to persist didn’t add anything to the conversation.

But I do agree with what Celtic and others have said about the video and I don’t think I could have said it any better.

The bottom line for me is that objectification of anyone, regardless of gender or status in society, is a bad thing for both the objectified and the objectifier. Maybe the one being objectified did do something unwise, or maybe an individual’s perception is that they did. That to me is immaterial. We can only take responsibility for our own actions and I choose not to practice objectification and not to excuse or condone it regardless of what the subject of it did.

The one being objectified may or may not like it and may or may not be hurt by it. I can’t know that unless they are a close friend or family. What I can and do know is that the act of objectifying another hurts me. It diminishes me and makes me into someone I don’t want to be. That is the real danger of objectifying others – the damage it does to one’s self. In a culture where objectification is routine and deliberately practiced by our mass media it is easy to get caught up into doing it especially for those who have grown up with that culture. So I understand it but it still makes me sad to see it happening. And yes I do agree that feminists should and must call it out when they see it happening no matter who the subject is.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by barbc624.