Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

patriciatrish
Participant

You do not understand. It doesn’t matter what YOU thought.

In the context of this forum, what I think does very much matter. You’ve made your argument — more than once in fact. Just because people disagree with you and state their reasons why does not mean they are attacking you or that their opinions are invalid. Comments such as this are why this particular thread has a reputation for rudeness.

Well said.

I agree, it is, but I for one would love to see some expansion on why you agree rather than copying an entire post without adding to the discussion. I know it’s hard, I wish I could upvote many of the posts here, but this stalls out conversation, takes up space and adds nothing new. From what I’ve seen you have many interesting things to say.

It is not healthy to repress our own sexuality or self identity, and by doing so we empower the patriarchal system that has oppressed women for hundreds of years.

This is where the general topic of objectification can get a bit touchy. Attention can quickly shift to the what the objectified party did to exacerbate the situation, rather than focusing on the actions of those who did the actual objectifying. No one should be called out for having a body that exists in space, whether that space is private or on a public-accessed forum.