Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Lady Gwynedd
Participant

I respectfully disagree as well, Terri P.

That video was innocent. I’ve seen people do the same as they in pools and at beaches the world over. They were horsing around. And what makes Sam’s friend a sex kitten? The fact she is lovely? That’s rather unfair, isn’t it? Her bathing suit is typical of those found at any pool or beach across half the world. Sam wasn’t touching her salaciously and didn’t call her anything suggesting he saw her simply as an object. It wasn’t sexual, it was playful.

But there was an uproar over the video, you’re right. But as I remember, it was over the fact that for the first time the world saw Sam with another woman who wasn’t Caitriona and they didn’t like it. The more crazed fans behaved badly by vilifying the poor woman and stalking her (and worse) on social media. All that speaks more to some elements of the fandom that are delusional rather than Sam’s treatment of his friend.

Probably, it would have been more prudent had they kept the video private, though. At this moment in time, they probably wished they had done so.