Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Draper
Participant

“Some of the comments I have read seem perilously close to that slippery slope where individuals are blamed…”

Not intentional. Just think he might want to be more circumspect about what he puts on the internet in future- it’s a mean, nasty world out there.

Completely different subject: thank you to whoever decided to put untranslated gaelic in the show. It’s so good to hear it!

I’ve family on Lewis, my cousins were taught gaelic but are embarrassed to speak it and won’t teach their children, my parents generation are completely bilingual, the generation before that understood English but didn’t speak it much. (To have a proper conversation with my great aunt who died in 1987 we needed my uncle to translate for us both.) The language needs to be heard, spoken and enjoyed (not just at the mods) and millions are now hearing it because they’re watching the show. Maybe some will want to learn it…who knows? It’s got to be good for the language. Thank you!

And thank you also for the costumes which are what brought me to this forum. It’s the everyday ones that are catching my attention, the practicality of them and all the rough edges.

That is my second and FINAL post – can see this could become addictive.