Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: Dragonfly in Amber: Book Discussion and Show Expectations

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion Dragonfly in Amber: Book Discussion and Show Expectations Reply To: Dragonfly in Amber: Book Discussion and Show Expectations

rachely
Participant

the danger of childbirth in that time

I think Claire knows that. I mean in 2015 being pregnant is still one of the most dangerous things for a woman (and the child) to be. My son almost died and only lived because there was an OB there with a knife and nic-u nurses in the OR. It actually bugs me that pregnancy is shown as being dangerous in the books. Claire is always talking about how dangerous it is, but very few children and women ever seem to die of childbed fever or from sepsis after miscarriage or children of pertussis or german measles or whatever. It happens, but not very often to people Claire is close to, it’s often just mentioned in passing (so-and-so has had three wives because two died in childbed).

I look at my family’s genealogy records from Sweden and New France in the 1700s and there are so many deaths of children and wives.

(Sorry, that was off topic, but something that has annoyed me.)