Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: Dragonfly in Amber: Book Discussion and Show Expectations

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion Dragonfly in Amber: Book Discussion and Show Expectations Reply To: Dragonfly in Amber: Book Discussion and Show Expectations

Caroline
Participant

Hi, JB.
I realize I’m proposing a radical idea (that will never come to fruition I expect :)). I am also not a purist when it comes to book-to-screen adaptations, which I realize makes me in the minority of OL fans. I am a big believer in stick to the source as closely as possible, but cut the extra “weight” of the story. When you said “I’m not really able to connect all those dots right now”, that is exactly what my problem is with the miscarriage storyline on the show: a lot of symbolism that would probably not translate as well as would be needed.

I think that the miscarriage forcing Claire to agree to return through the stones is a valid point in the books, but on screen couldn’t this be played out by having Jenny miscarry? Doesn’t she have a miscarriage or stillbirth at some point? Sorry, I can’t remember. If Claire sees that/assists with the birth, she would very well know the danger of childbirth in that time and that would be enough to make her agree to go back to her own time, especially if she would herself be pregnant at the same time.

I just like to come up with different ways of making the books “fit” into this TV mold.