Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: Sexuality in Outlander

JB
Participant

Oh goody, I was hoping this would become a separate thread! I think we should all definitely be aware of the moments when new threads present themselves from older ones. I was tempted to make a “Marketing the Show” thread out of the Objectification thread but didn’t. And now wish I had. 🙂

Anyway, the examples here so far are interesting particularly in light of DG’s comments about why she thinks sex scenes are important. In an essay about writing sex scenes posted on on her site, she says, “A good sex scene is about the exchange of emotions, not bodily fluids.” Here’s the link to the rest:

http://www.dianagabaldon.com/2012/07/how-to-write-sex-scenes/

That, to me, sums up a lot about the different ways sex advances the relationships in the books. But now that you guys mentioned it, a lot of the ways involve power. I’m thinking about Jamie and Claire upon their return to Leoch. Or

[VOYAGER SPOILERS AHEAD]

Geneva and Jamie. Or Geillis and Ian.

And actually, come to think of it, one of the reasons that I find Lord John’s longing for Jamie (in Voyager, at least) so sweet is that there’s no power involved at all. He just loves the man. Even when he’s in a position of absolute power at Ardmuir, he accepts Jamie’s rejection with no anger, no retribution. In a series in which violence and upheaval are always around the corner (or, to use a better metaphor, on the next page), I appreciated that Jamie didn’t come to any injury as a result of rebuffing Lord John’s advances.