Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: Dragonfly in Amber: Book Discussion and Show Expectations

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion Dragonfly in Amber: Book Discussion and Show Expectations Reply To: Dragonfly in Amber: Book Discussion and Show Expectations

JB
Participant

Hi Caroline!

That’s a pretty radical concept you’ve proposed here, and it’s making my wheels turn. It was clear to me from the first pages of DiA that the baby Claire is pregnant with at the end of Outlander is NOT Bree (I definitely did the math on that one), so I was waiting for the miscarriage the whole time.

But if I consider what role the miscarriage plays in the overall story, well… I see a bit of rebirth symbolism going on with Claire’s pregnancy mirroring Jamie’s recovery from Wentworth. And then there’s something there, too, in the fact that Claire loses the baby partially as a result of Jamie’s inability to put aside his need for vengeance. There’s also some mirroring going on between Claire losing Frank (or so she thinks) as a result of BJR’s injury in the duel and losing Jamie’s baby.

I’m not really able to connect all those dots right now, but it also occurs to me that the most important outcome of the miscarriage is that it must play a role in forcing Claire to agree to return through the stones at the end.

But besides all that, given how closely the episodes we’ve seen so far hew to the original text, it’s hard to imagine that the production would cut out such a majorly dramatic plot point in season two!