Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: Dragonfly in Amber: Book Discussion and Show Expectations

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion Dragonfly in Amber: Book Discussion and Show Expectations Reply To: Dragonfly in Amber: Book Discussion and Show Expectations

Caroline
Participant

Hi, all. I’ve been lurking awhile now, but this forum seems pretty fun and you all seem like you’re smart and not crazy, so I’m in. (There’s some weird stuff on the other OL fan sites I just can’t partake in)

I’m sure I’m in the minority, but I would be totally OK with Claire not having the miscarriage in the series. I know the end of Season 1 has already been filmed, so it is probably in there, but if it were me writing the adaptation, I would try to find a way to either end Season 1 without the pregnancy, or speed up the timeline of season 2 to be only the year 1744-1745 and send Claire back to her own time being farther along in her pregnancy (with Bree) than in the book.

I found the entire first pregnancy distracting in the book, and the Master Raymond “healing” after the miscarriage was just strange. I think it would not translate well to the screen. It also makes Jamie less of a sympathetic character due to his disappearance, and if you’re watching a TV show you would maybe think why wouldn’t Claire want to go back to Frank after this? There’s not as much time in the show as there is in the books for Jamie to redeem himself to her.

Just my two cents. Hey, eliminating kids from adaptations worked before. (See Gone With the Wind)