Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the TV portrayal of the "Strong Woman"

sonyakhanum
Participant

Yes, love it. Thanks for sharing Connie. I think you’ve hit the nail on the head about my feelings re Brianna vs. Claire. I’ve always identified with characters and women in positions of power who demonstrate traditionally considered feminine qualities, rather than assume traditionally considered masculine qualities to achieve certain ends. Even though I don’t care for her, I think though that Brianna is still an important character in demonstrating that gender and traditionally considered feminine or masculine qualities aren’t fixed. Even though I can’t identify with her and I find her super annoying at times, she’s still an important character in showing that diversity.

I love Lagertha on Vikings (she’s come up in the Vikings thread, but I’ll talk about her here anyway). She’s a strong warrior and leader, and she’s also empathetic. She has inherently feminine qualities such as being a nurturer (I love the portrayal of her as mother and I’m excited to see how Claire will be portrayed as mother in the series).

I often think about the portrayal of the female characters in Game of Thrones and I haven’t been able to identify with any of them. I want to agree with people who comment about the strong portrayal of female characters on the show, but I just can’t (and not just because of the portrayal of sex on the show).