Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: Dragonfly in Amber: Book Discussion and Show Expectations

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion Dragonfly in Amber: Book Discussion and Show Expectations Reply To: Dragonfly in Amber: Book Discussion and Show Expectations

AllisonL
Participant

I wasn’t as jarred by the Jamie-and-Claire-in-Paris thing. Jamie is an educated, intelligent man and Paris was, for me, a glimpse into the kind of life he could have easily lived. I bought his ease with hob-nobbing with nobility because of the fact that he was part of a ruling clan in Scotland and groomed to be laird of Lallybroch. I do agree that Claire slipped into that life almost too easily–but she has slipped into the whole 18th century life without a bat of an eye, too.

The flashback format of DiA was my least favorite part. I spent the entire book knowing how it was going to end, essentially, and I didn’t like it. We already knew from the foreshadowing in Outlander that Jamie was probably going to die at Culloden, and the whole book had such a sense of foreboding. And the fact they thought they could change the future was unbelievable for me, given Jamie and Claire’s intelligence and Claire’s knowledge of what was to come. I’m hoping they don’t format Season 2 as a flashback for the whole series.

If Wallace Shawn is cast as Mr. Raymond, I would always hear “inconcieveable!” no matter what came out of his mouth. I imagine Raymond as someone who is trustworthy but unsettling, maybe Derick Jacoby.