Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Lady Gwynedd
Participant

Anastasia said: Many times, people “go along with” someone else’s inappropriate behavior not because they like it or don’t have a problem with it, but because they are either trying to be polite/gracious, or because they are afraid/worried – either because the person making the comments is in a position of power and they don’t want to cause friction or make their relationship with the person suffer, or because they truly fear for their safety.

Tucsonlady Said: Sam’s face initially shows his reaction to the comments. Then his mask goes up and he graciously ignores his own discomfort. That makes me sad. As females we have all encountered similar situations and it’s not pleasant. I can’t imagine being forced to sit, smile, and graciously accept that type of behavior.

I well remember being accused of not being a “good sport” or not being able to take a joke or a compliment when some man made an inappropriate comment on my appearance. I don’t think it is an act of feminism to do the same to Sam.

I’m not trying to make anyone feel shamed for having the opinion that Sam is a handsome man, though. I, myself, think Sam is incredibly appealing and he’s simply a very gorgeous human being, but that’s not all he is. He’s an incredible actor, and seems to be a generous, kind person as well. Those aspects of his character outshine the rest, to me.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Lady Gwynedd.