Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Anastasia
Participant

[quote quote=6649]
I do believe that commenting on the fineness of Sam’s butt is the same as commenting on the firmness of Cait’s boobs. Diana misstepped when she publicly commented on it and she, as well as the Starz marketing gurus, set the example for the fans to follow. In watching the clip of that interview, I saw Sam flinch at first and then graciously “go along” with it. When the Anglophile interviewer commented upon Episode 107 by saying she had seen both Sam and Cait in their altogether, the expression on Sam’s face wasn’t one of pleasure, that’s for sure. After the first beat, they both reacted professionally, as always, but I think he was a little aghast. To say that Sam must not mind these sorts of comments because he spends so much time in the gym is the same as saying a woman must not mind the catcalls she gets because she spent so much time getting ready. There is no difference.
[/quote]

Very well said.

Many times, people “go along with” someone else’s inappropriate behavior not because they like it or don’t have a problem with it, but because they are either trying to be polite/gracious, or because they are afraid/worried – either because the person making the comments is in a position of power and they don’t want to cause friction or make their relationship with the person suffer, or because they truly fear for their safety.