Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Lady Gwynedd
Participant

Hello all. I’m relatively new here and have enjoyed reading through the posts and hearing all sorts of opinions being expressed by the people who post here. You are all an impressive bunch.

I’d like to add to the brilliant Rachely’s (I think I must know her from another fandom because her name is so familiar) list of problems, if I could be so presumptuous.

PROBLEM THE FOURTH:

Just because someone (or several someones) disagrees with your opinion, doesn’t mean they are ganging up on you. It’s just that everyone has a right to their own point of view and on this board they have the right to express it as long as they are polite about it.

I do believe that commenting on the fineness of Sam’s butt is the same as commenting on the firmness of Cait’s boobs. Diana misstepped when she publicly commented on it and she, as well as the Starz marketing gurus, set the example for the fans to follow. In watching the clip of that interview, I saw Sam flinch at first and then graciously “go along” with it. When the Anglophile interviewer commented upon Episode 107 by saying she had seen both Sam and Cait in their altogether, the expression on Sam’s face wasn’t one of pleasure, that’s for sure. After the first beat, they both reacted professionally, as always, but I think he was a little aghast. To say that Sam must not mind these sorts of comments because he spends so much time in the gym is the same as saying a woman must not mind the catcalls she gets because she spent so much time getting ready. There is no difference.

I think the people behind Outlander have done a superlative job. Diana, first for conceiving and writing such a compelling saga, and then Ron and his folk for presenting the story in a way that honors Diana’s labor of love, as well as honoring the loyal fans as well. I, for one, am grateful.