Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

cynthia
Participant

Hi, Susan. Yes it was to make a point, which is that this is a sexy show and a majority of the audience is going to look at and admire SH. The show is shot in such a way that we can see him at his best.

The image that was sent out was a still from the show, that anyone can see when they pause their DVRs. The intended targets of the image were those people who follow #Outlander on Twitter and Facebook, so the audience knows what they are in for. It’s not as though the Starz Marketing Team took this image, lightened the shadows so you can see more of SH (that was something a fan did and it got passed around) and then ran banner ads with it across the internet. The picture was sent to people who are most likely already watching the show.

At times the objectification of SH convos on here steer towards we should feel bad for looking at SH at all, and I don’t feel we should. He’s a gorgeous man, he works hard to keep his body in shape, and I enjoy seeing him on my TV screen. I follow him on Twitter. I see what some other people on Twitter say to him and I think it’s obnoxious, but I don’t think that means he should never appear on TV again in an undressed manner. I hope not.