Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: Dragonfly in Amber: Book Discussion and Show Expectations

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion Dragonfly in Amber: Book Discussion and Show Expectations Reply To: Dragonfly in Amber: Book Discussion and Show Expectations

Melissa
Participant

This bugged me too. I know Jamie was a minor laird’s son, I know he studied in Paris for a year, but he never struck me as an aristocrat. Claire is hosting dinner parties and she certainly wouldn’t have known the mannerisms of the time. I hope the TV version shows them not really fitting in to that world and feeling uncomfortable with it.

Jamie I could kind of see being accepted into the world of King Louis and the aristocrats, if only because of his novelty value – a tall, redheaded Scot in a kilt had to have been a sight to see amongst the bewigged fops of the palace. (Sort of like Benjamin Franklin visiting Versailles in his coonskin cap.) How on earth did Claire manage it, though? The French court and aristocracy of that time was one of the most ritualized and etiquette-bound societies imaginable, but she just slid right into the world of balls, dinner parties, and salons without blinking an eye. I hope as you do that the show has her struggle a bit and put a foot wrong now and then.