Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

barbc624
Participant

[quote quote=6562]
What I wonder now is more of a chicken-and-the-egg type question. Did the trends toward objectification we’ve noticed and commented on at length above inform the direction that Starz is now taking (because their posts, including the “up-kilt” shot, feel a bit more seedy lately) or did Starz’s promotional material inform (and inflame) the fandom’s response?
[/quote]

I think Starz has been marketing it this way from the beginning, just not as explicitly. Remember “The Kilt drops” ads and promo’s last summer? What I think has happened, is that this type of marketing appeals to a certain type of viewer (i.e. “the story is interfering with the sex” viewers) who have then reflected it back to Starz through their social media response to it (doctored shots of Jamie’s ass, doctored “up the kilt” shots, suggestive posts etc.) At the same time, I think the viewers who are there for the story not primarily the sex, and who dislike the objectification, are getting drowned out/are pulling back from social media concerning the show (I know I have). Thus the voices of the fans who are into the sex/objectification become more magnified as they reflect back to Starz, which in turn encourages Starz to up their game. It has become a classic feedback loop.

The sad part of it is that the image now being presented may put off potential new viewers who aren’t interested in just another cable sexfest, and who may not even give the show a chance. That’s a shame because the show is so much more than what Starz PR seems be leaning toward as their marketing strategy.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by barbc624.