Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

JB
Participant

What I see is a mainstream corporate marketing machine that was not familiar with the books before this project landed on its collective desk. So the marketing team did some research and found that the fandom consists of like 95% women and decided that the marketable assets are Jamie’s physical attributes, Jamie’s sex appeal and how Jamie makes Claire feel. So that’s what they’re using to sell the show. It seems like classic outsider reductionism at play to me.

What I wonder now is more of a chicken-and-the-egg type question. Did the trends toward objectification we’ve noticed and commented on at length above inform the direction that Starz is now taking (because their posts, including the “up-kilt” shot, feel a bit more seedy lately) or did Starz’s promotional material inform (and inflame) the fandom’s response?