Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: Lord John Grey

CelticGlamazon
Participant

So…Yeah…This is totally LJG for me.

http://www.jasonisaacsphotoalbumsonline.com/movies/HPCoS/Hagrid_hut/14.jpg

[quote quote=6460]I’ve grown to adore LJG! Everyone here has been very thoughtful about their responses, so hopefully I won’t be too repetitive.

For me, John’s sexuality is irrelevant to why I’m drawn to him. He is intelligent, warm, articulate, heroic, respectful of everyone he meets (though he can be judgemental), self-effacing, with a sense of honor and code of conduct I admire. He has a lovely dry wit that makes me giggle. He is true to himself in what is often very trying circumstances. He won’t let himself do anything without trying to do the best that he can.

Katie
[/quote]

One of my favorite aspects of the LJG character is his wit and sense of honor. The way he interacted with Claire could have been from a place of jealousy, but instead he approached her from the position of another person that loves Jamie. I wonder if I could do the same in a similar situation? Then there are the events in MOBY that cinched my interest in him as a character.

[quote quote=6437]First off I am so glad you emerged from that closet! I have mild claustrophobia so I hate to think of anyone in any kid of closet. Hugs to you! It makes me happy that this forum is safe enough for you to do so. Kudo’s to Terry once again. :) :)
[/quote]

Some of the ladies on Twitter made me see that I was still welcome regardless of my Gender Identity and Sexual Orientation, and I hate living behind a facade. 🙂 Thanks for the welcome.

[quote quote=6437]
Secondly I have to be honest and say I haven’t given a lot of thought to LJG. I do like his friendship for Jamie, and I like the interaction they have together. I think LJG was an important relationship to Jamie because of Wentworth. Claire healed Jamie’s soul, but I think LJG ultimately healed some of the other wounds Jamie suffered due to BJR. Wentworth had to have instilled a mistrust in Jamie of others, especially of men who he perceived as gay and I think over time LJG’s friendship helped with restoring that.
[/quote]

I just realized that while reading the book, the perspective of LJG helping Jamie to heal actually occurred to me. It seems that I wasn’t conscious of it though. Analyzing the interactions in MOBY make that quite apparent, especially given the Claire/LJG storyline and Jamie’s response. Thanks for pointing that out. 🙂