Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

JB
Participant

But did you read Mohicans and Room before or after seeing the movies? For me, whatever comes first tends to dominate. Though because I only really have a vague sense of characters’ faces when I read the book first, the actor in any adaptation can kind of take over, I guess.

This is why I was initially not sure I wanted to even watch OL the Series. I knew from seeing the promos that SH and CB did not quite fit my vague sense of what Jamie and Claire look like, and I didn’t want that vagueness replaced by their faces. I can get pretty protective of my book visions. But then I caved. And actually, I am often impressed by SH’s acting and how much he seems like a 23-year-old goober. He definitely becomes “Series Jamie” for me, though I still revert in my head to vague “Book Jamie” when I read the books. (I think CB is also doing a fabulous job, but somehow the shoes she had to fill weren’t as big.)

I think this actually contributes to me being able to enjoy the series as the series and the books as the books and not needing them to match up perfectly.