Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

gingerlovinmind
Participant

I find the comparison of our visualizations to be incredibly interesting. For instance, I don’t imagine SH when I read, but I DO hear his voice (same for Cait). When I read the books, I only get a *sense* of the person. When DG talks about Jamie’s hair, I see it…but only the hair, never the whole. But I see the hair very vividly–the colors and tones, the texture, whether it is kept or unkept. But I don’t see the totality of the person. (I have no problem seeing places, apparently I just do this with the characters). I have no idea why.

I was trying to explain this to my husband, and he thought it was weird, since whenever I have dreams they are nearly always third person omniscient. Like I am hovering up above viewing the dream.

I see scenery and location this way when I read (great, sweeping overviews), but when it comes to characters apparently my gaze only goes where directed.

ADMISSION: So, really, the characters are (overall) not what I could have envisioned (because, well, I just have an assortment of random bits in my head). That being said, recently I was leaving work and heading to my car. I was riding in a filthy parking garage elevator and I saw a guy reach to press the floor button with his big hands covered in a sprinkling of downy ginger hair, and I *might* have hissed to my friend, “Oh, my Gosh! He has JAMIE HANDS!”

*hangs head in shame*