Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

barbc624
Participant

I’m a little of both. I am primarily a visual thinker so I do have pictures in my head most of the time. A lot depends on the skill of the writer in describing things well enough for me to see them clearly in my head. If they can’t/don’t do that then I make my own pictures of characters. I first read OL so long ago that I can’t really remember how I first “saw” Jamie and Claire.

I do know that for visual adaptations my being able to reconcile the characters on screen as opposed to in my head from the book depends on several things.
(a) Sometimes the casting is so dead on visually to my picture that that’s it, (assuming the person cast can also act).
(b) If the casting isn’t exactly how I pictured the character but the actor is able to embody the character for me I’ll be perfectly happy to go with that. This is the case with OL. Sam out of costume really doesn’t look like my picture of Jamie at all. But Sam in costume

and

in character is definitely Jamie. A big part of that is not his looks, but his attention to the details of Jamie – I love when he taps his finger against his side when he is nervous or thinking hard – straight from the book. And his little “mmpphmm” is perfect. Cait is definitely not how I pictured Claire – mostly her eyes and height since those characteristics were so emphasized in the book but she does nail Claire’s personality so I’m good with her as well.
(c) If looks and acting both are off then I’m done. I probably won’t be watching.