Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: Can we get past Jaimie's looks?

maureenanne
Participant

Yes I remember Claire remains open to different faiths but I don’t want to spoil anything for you. I’ll be curious to hear what you have to say about the books beyond Drums of Autumn. I found DG’s style of writing really changed (Breath of Snow and Ashes? )and the books started to read like daily journals. I hear the latest novel is better and so I may give this a try.

I don’t disagree with your comments about Jamie. He’s a wonderful character. Jamie reminds me of my dad and uncles. They grew up in Irish ghettos in Northern Kentucky and Southwestern Ohio. They were raised Catholic, attended parochial school and just had a solid faith foundation which pulled them through some very difficult times and I think played a factor in all of their successes. They could be rough and tough but very emotional and sentimental. Of course, Jamie still has those pagan cultural beliefs that he can’t quite separate from his Catholic faith and so you get that great blend of Celtic Christianity which feels right to me.

I love the expression “old soul” and I would describe the (beautiful,yes) actors that play Jamie and Claire as old souls with depth and spiritual presence. Not sure how all of this can be marketed by STARZ but I’ll remain hopeful! So, Outlander is quite entertaining? Can it be inspirational?