Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

barbc624
Participant

It is fascinating. He died before I was born from lung damage due to mustard gas, but my mom had his full dress kilt outfit. Unfortunately in one of many family moves it was damaged and now my brother can’t even find it. He is trying so that we can see if what is left can be restored. My mom used to say that I had a full complement of Scots stubborness and a temper to match, as did she. My dad on the other hand had the charm of the Irish and the gift of blarney – one of my brothers took after him, and the other two were a mix of both.

My Irish history is a bit more known but not quite as inspiring. My dad’s ancestor came over during the Potato Famine and ended up in Boston. We believe that he was a younger son who was sent to market to sell the family’s last remaining cow during the famine. He sold it but used the money to emigrate rather than bringing it home. (I guess every family has its black sheep.) We haven’t successfully traced any remaining family members left in Ireland but I found it to be an extremely beautiful and mystical country. I’d like to return there as well one day after I have made my Scotland trip.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by barbc624.