Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

JB
Participant

This makes me sad. I completely understand your concern about not wanting to be one of “those fans.” I don’t want that for myself, either, and I’m actually finding that the Starz publicity onslaught and the OL fandom as it’s expressed in places other than here is starting to detract from my enjoyment of the books and series.

But Scotland is the most fabulous place. I urge you not to let your concerns get in the way of experiencing it. You can very easily find your way around to OL sites or non-OL sites without buying into the tourist machine. I lived in Scotland 15-plus years ago and haven’t been back in about five years, so I can’t speak to whether it’s been overrun by Outlander-mania in the meantime (though I highly doubt it). But if you go and find you are indeed overloaded by twee OL experiences, head to Glasgow. It is the most down-to-earth city and I can’t see its inhabitants ever getting swept away by those “bonny Scotland” visions.