Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

barbc624
Participant

[quote quote=6440]

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>dghatsnw wrote:</div>

Thank you for the post. In all my years of dealing with actors, my observation is that they really are not that different than a broad spectrum of most people.
MOST people, who are actors, are uncomfortable with overt attention to their bodies or looks, especially if it is sexual. Same with actors. Unfortunately, part of their job is to be gracious about it.
Like most people, they don’t get confrontational, which doesn’t mean it is comfortable.
I have never spoken to Sam about this, because it is a sensitive topic, and it feels like an invasion of his privacy.
I am only speaking about discussions with other actors over the years.
[/quote]

Terry you make a very good point.

One of my daughter’s good friends is an aspiring actress. She is a beautiful, smart, girl and very sweet, but she is completely insecure about her looks and her acting ability. She did a short web series with my daughter and a friend and I heard every week, either from my daughter or her personally, about how “fat” she was and how “terrible” she looked or how poorly she played her role. She didn’t even want to watch the videos. In reality this young woman is nowhere even close to being overweight, and she is adorable on screen. She would never admit her insecurities to anyone she is not close to, and she puts on a very confident air which probably fools others, but she is an actress after all.

So I could very easily see her being badly affected by sexist comments made about her, and being completely unable to deal with them or react to them. Given what my daughter tells me, her friend is very typical of many actors in her insecurities.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by barbc624. Reason: Commas don't like me