Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Tucsonlady
Participant

I’ve said previously on the Vikings thread that Ragnar is the sexiest man on television today. I meant it too. That’s in reference to the character Ragnar Lodbrok not Travis Fimmel the actor. There is a difference although with some Outlander fans that line has become blurred.

I’m ambivalent on the issue of Sam’s objectification. Actually I just don’t care enough to formulate an opinion. The current Outlander PR campaign hype bores me. Outlander’s story has been subverted by the cult of Sam and Cait. I’m an Outlander fan not a Sam or Cait fan. SH will never be my Jamie Fraser nor will Cait Balfe ever be my Claire. What has been totally lost by Starz executives is that Outlander’s story can stand on it’s own without this relentless attention on Sam’s physical attributes. DG should have been explaining that to Starz instead of compounding her mistake by making public statements about Sam Heughan’s appearance.

Both Sam and Cait are adults who signed contracts knowing that nude scenes come with this job. Once the nude photos are out on the internet that genie isn’t going back into the bottle no matter how personally uncomfortable it is for Sam and Cait. The good news is Americans are known to have notoriously short attention spans and will soon be off commenting on Sam’s replacement as hunk du jour. Starz will be off promoting its next new series and DG will be left to put the pieces back together of her decimated Outlander community.