Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Terry Dresbach
Keymaster

[quote quote=6426]I’ll be honest: I had to look up #MCM when I saw it tweeted a few times yesterday. I’m just not that hip.

I’ve seen Woman Crush Wednesday (#WCW) a few times, most recently for Tatiana Maslany from Orphan Black. Those tend to be more respectful and focus on talent rather than physical attributes.

As for the Starz Marketing Team, on the one hand I have to give them credit: they’re keeping the buzz going through a very long hiatus (to the point where I’m getting exhausted with it). On the other hand, I feel they’re creating a false premise of the show. Roxane Gay writing for NYMag was clearly expecting a sexy romp and every week wrote how she was let down because of the “plot that kept getting in the way of the sex.” I saw a lot of comments on that site along those lines. Sending out a tweet of what amounts to an up-kilt shot felt not only disrespectful of the lead actor but also to the show itself. I said on Twitter I found it alienating because that’s not why I watch this show. YMMV.*

*YMMV = your mileage may vary

[/quote]

The plot kept getting in the way of the sex???????? I just don’t get it.