Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Terry Dresbach
Keymaster

[quote quote=6421]Perhaps Mr. Heughan can protect/defend himself from unwanted behavior, but why should he have to and why would he want to have to? I remember walking through Manhattan to a photo shoot for a show with a lovely actress and the amount of comment she got from men on the street horrified me. Obviously an everyday occurrence for her and I was too shy to ask her about how she felt about it (I’m over that now and would ask in a heartbeat). She wasn’t provocatively dressed, and just in street make up. It felt like a barrage. Now, she may be used to it, actors egos aren’t quite the same (in my experience), some women are flattered by it. Still, it felt yucky on a gut level.
[/quote]

Thank you for the post. In all my years of dealing with actors, my observation is that they really are not that different than a broad spectrum of most people.
MOST people, who are actors, are uncomfortable with overt attention to their bodies or looks, especially if it is sexual. Same with actors. Unfortunately, part of their job is to be gracious about it.
Like most people, they don’t get confrontational, which doesn’t mean it is comfortable.
I have never spoken to Sam about this, because it is a sensitive topic, and it feels like an invasion of his privacy.
I am only speaking about discussions with other actors over the years.