Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Terry Dresbach
Keymaster

[quote quote=6423]I’ve seen that picture, but I think it was a totally different one that only showed Jamie/Sam from the hip up, without exposing anything underneath the kilt. Was there another one?

I just wanted to add a comment about the kilt and the inappropriate nature of the comments and actions of people regarding the kilt (eg. comments made about what’s underneath, people attempting to get a look underneath, etc.). It’s a thought that just occurred to me while thinking about the issues surrounding the picture that Starz posted and how some have reacted to it.

The kilt is a cultural and traditional clothing and symbol. I’m not Scottish and don’t have a Scottish background, so I’m not in the best place to be able to speak about this issue, and I’d be interested to hear the thoughts of anyone who may be in a better place. I have a concern about how a cultural garb can be sexualized. It’s not only just an issue about the objectification of these actors, but it there’s also the sexualization of a cultural piece. It may not be a concern to those to whom the kilt culturally belongs, so it may not be an issue at all. As an Iranian woman, I’ve experienced the sexualization of Middle Eastern cultural pieces and expression that can be quite problematic (though, I guess, in that situation we’re dealing with an entirely different dynamic involving “East” and “West” relations, and the sexualization and negative representation of Middle Eastern culture). It’s just a thought that I’ve had and I would hate it if some men felt like they couldn’t express themselves and their culture through the kilt because of fear of harassment.
[/quote]

Excellent point.