Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Terry Dresbach
Keymaster

[quote quote=6339]

For the record, I am not mothering anyone – nor am I trying to shield anyone. The problem with saying “Well, they haven’t said anything, so obviously they aren’t bothered by it, so why should I be?” is that if we place all the burden on speaking out on the direct victims (who may genuinely not be bothered by it, or may not feel as though they can speak up, or may not even realize what’s happening), nothing will ever change.

And the perception that they are victims is your perception. I don’t see it that way and I haven’t seen anything that says they do, so we aren’t starting out from the same assumption. That’s what I am pointing out.

Call them the the recipients if that makes a difference. And my concern, I will repeat once again, is NOT on their behalf. It is about the trickle down effects of the enablement and even encouragement of objectification by people who are in the public eye and act as role models to their followers.

After all, if it’s ok to publicly objectify an actor, then it must be ok to publicly objectify the hot guy/girl you see walking down the street. Like it or not, people imitate what they see their idols do in their own daily lives. Thus the example of the public figure who publicly objectifies another gets repeated on a more ordinary daily level (ie in this case by fans on Twitter) and eventually becomes an accepted thing to do.

So my concern, is about the ultimate results of public behavior by someone who is looked up to by many others. It’s about the effects on the ordinary women and men who are then subjected to objectification because someone is copying their idol’s behavior, and it’s also about the effects on the people who do it. Objectification encourages us to dehumanize the object of it in our own minds and encourages behavior that ultimately can injure the objectivizers (is that a even word?) own self esteem.

My question to you is “Do you believe that objectification of anyone is something that as an ethical and humane society we would like to see end, or is it something that’s not a big deal and can be ok depending on who is doing it and to whom?”

And whatever your answer to that is, and whether we agree or disagree in the end, I’m really happy we can have a civil conversation about this because in my mind the first step in changing things is bringing them into the light and questioning them. If we don’t question them there is no hope of them ever changing. :) :)

And now I’m off to take my 4-yo to the MD because 102 fever is no fun. Thanks for keeping me busy while my car warmed up. :)

Awww, I hope she/he is okay. We have a nasty measles outbreak going on in CA right now which is kind of scary for those with young children.

Edited to add. You say that mothering is trying to make others behave the way you want them to. That may be your definition, and is true in the case of very young children. But as the mother of two grown adults, I have always believed that once they were old enough to reason my real (and much more difficult job) was to teach them to think for themselves and learn how to make decisions based not only on their own self interest or on the opinions of others, but on how their choices would affect others. Others in this case being not only others that they knew personally but “others” on a more global basis which includes not only people but the other life forms that we share our world with. On the whole I think I’ve succeeded fairly well, as evidenced by the sometimes passionate discussions we have as a family on various issues. And no, we don’t always agree but we do come out of it with new ideas and viewpoints to ponder.

[/quote]

Great post!! I couldn’t agree more.