Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: Lord John Grey

AnCatDubh1980
Participant

Same here WRT to LJG’s intelligence, humor, and grace under pressure. Also, I’m a sucker for a character that manages to live a life of unrequited love, without being consumed by it.

I really enjoyed the structure of the series, as well. How there are little nagging questions and hints dropped that all might not be as it seems in the early stories, and as you keep reading, more and more is revealed until you get the big payout in The Scottish Prisoner.

Most of all, LJG just seems more familiar to me than than many of the main Outlander characters. Perhaps is more of what I’ve read in the past and books that have stayed in my head, that makes life in London, political intrigue, and battlefields more relate-able than Highland life or farming in NC. For example, I drew many parallels between the LJG books and Patrick O’Brian’s series. Many interactions between LJG and Tom Byrd reminded me of how Jack Aubrey & Killick interact, or the friendship between LJG and Harry Quarry seems similar to that of Jack Aubrey & Stephen Maturin.

Finally, I found his series to be a much needed break from all the angst that comes with Jamie/Claire, Bree/Roger.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by AnCatDubh1980.