Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Ami
Participant

Hello all! I’ve been lurking for awhile and have thoroughly enjoyed reading the different perspectives. What an articulate and respectful group this is, so refreshing! In fact I’ve been a bit intimidated to post for fear I would come across a bit simple, but here goes nothing…

I certainly agree that no one, male or female, should be reduced to the objectification of their bodies. I think RM and co. Have done an excellent job thus far of avoiding this. As far as the fans go…I personally appreciate the way Sam and Caitriona look, but I am in awe of their ability to bring to life characters that have been with me for over a decade. I have a feeling this is also the case for many others, even if they havent thought of a more appropriate way to express than through a vocal appreciation of external beauty.

My problems arise when a few of these fans take it too far, ie attempting to look under GMT’s kilt while in a druken stupor, or Twitter fans basically stalking every known associate of these actors and becoming personally offended when photos of SH in the company of a girl (who is NOT them) surface.

I know this has all been said, but I wanted to add my two cents because this seems like such an amazing group of woman, and I want to be part of it!

Hopefully this was semi coherent. I’m currently a SAHM, and unable to work due to chronic migraines that started after the birth of my son. In my previous career I was a multi-store manager in higher end retail. When not caring for my 6 year old I do all types of yarn Art (knit, crochet, Tunisian crochet, needlepoint, cross stitch, etc.) and learning to sew. Name is Ami, BTW, I case you didn’t get that from my screen name:)

EDIT: I also wanted to comment on the body hair question…I am all for historically accurate period pieces, however I am firmly in the camp of NOT wanting things like body hair to reflect the period in which the story is told. I also have a hunch that it’s better for Starz, Ron, Terry, etc. if the series appeals to a broad an audience as possible. Based on a (very) informal poll I conducted amongst those I know who watch the series, it was unanimous that Caitriona was perfect as she is, and arm pit hair would either detract or at the very least be a distraction! Please don’t hate me for this!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Ami. Reason: Wanted to share view on body hair