Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

MrsParker
Participant

Beth, I believe we’re on the same page, so please RSVP to the Tar and Feather party.

“Is it because women are not seen as a sexual threat?”
My answer: Yes.

Reasons:
1. Women, especially older women, are not as physically threatening therefore we are not as sexually threatening. In other words, we can’t overpower someone to have our way with them.
2. There’s a shock factor involved. Older women are commonly viewed as mothers and care-givers, and not lusty beings. The reminder that one’s sex drive still exists for oh, say, the rest of your life is surprising to some.

On a personal note, I’ve never heard my 60+ mother talk about a television show the way she did about The Wedding episode. It was the closest we ever came to an actual conversation about sex.