Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

AllisonL
Participant

I’ve been trying to figure out why I don’t react the same way to a DG/Sam comment as I do a supposed Ron/Cait comment, why a woman saying something like that to a man doesn’t seem to be nearly as negative as when a man does it. I think it boils down to what’s behind those comments, which is, on one side, a thousand years of power, sexism, and control of women vs. well, not. That matters, a lot, to the way we view and react with each other today. I can’t think of how to explain what I mean except with this example. I have a friend in my knitting group, we’re both Downton Abbey fans and we joke all the time about how we’d love to have maids turn down our beds and call us to dinner. Fun, right? I have another friend in the group, who’s also a big DA fan, but I would never joke about this with her because she’s black. Those exact same jokes, said in same way with the exact same innocent, fun intent, are suddenly much different if I said them to her. She’s awesome and I’m sure she wouldn’t take it wrong but there is no way I could go there. It’s the same with the man commenting on woman vs. woman commenting on man thing (Im not equating racism and slavery with offhand comments on a stage; just struggling to find a way to express this difference) The words coming from a woman describing a man just don’t carry the same baggage and weight as do the EXACT SAME words coming from a man describing a woman, no matter how sincere and honest they might be. Does that make sense? Please don’t tar and feather me and throw me out of town (I just finished that part in Breath of Snow and Ashes).