Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

JB
Participant

[quote quote=6158] I told him that I didn’t want to have my personal info, photos, etc. out on the internet with the potential for being passed along to who knows where. He couldn’t relate – his comment was “what do you have to hide?” – I said – nothing and that’s not the point! He’s 19yrs old and a great kid – but wow what a different point of view!

It is truly amazing to me (in my cave) that so many people are ok with so much about them and their young children (who by the way have no choice about their “cute baby butt pics”) being out on the internet.
[/quote]

Off topic alert, again! Not sure how strict you guys are about this, so just warning everyone.

Lori, just a vote of support to you — I am also a cave-dweller (born in 1974) who is desperately uncomfortable with being public on the internet. It is so completely out of character for me to be posting on a forum (using my <gasp> REAL INITIALS, no less), I can’t even tell you. In fact, those two parentheticals are probably the most info I’ve ever divulged about myself online. In short, I am strictly a consumer of the internet’s content. Or was until I read Outlander and became so desperate for conversation that I stumbled on this place.

My kids seem to have adopted at least some of my wariness. I tell them the story of my last job interview, 5 years ago. My soon-to-be-boss admitted that she had Googled me and couldn’t find a single personal detail about me online, including a photo. I told her that I was very proud to hear that. For me, it comes down to wanting to control what people know about me and when. And the simplest way to do that these days, I find, is not to put anything online.

Just wanted to wave and let you know you’re not alone!