Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

JB
Participant

[quote quote=6162]
Yes, or if Ron Moore had said it about Cait. And to be fair I have pretty much the same reaction to DG that you do.
[/quote]

This is exactly the point I was trying to make. I was not personally offended by DG’s comment to Sam. But the part of my brain that is aware of the influence she has (and is also extremely sensitive to artifice of any kind) was ringing loudly when she said it.

Flipping the sexes around, in my opinion, shows how off-color it was. If we would classify a man making a similar comment to a woman as being in poor taste, then why would we have a different standard for a women saying it to a man?

Thinking about it briefly, I believe that that actually isn’t a rhetorical question, and the answers involve cultural conditioning — aaaaaand I’ve already gone there, so I’ll shut up now!

Very much looking forward to reading others’ blogs, etc., on the topic, so I’m hoping the links will be posted here.