Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

JB
Participant

[quote quote=6122]
Well, I have a 15 year old and a 4 year old. The 15 year old has been in situations where we have had to talk about his body and what is and isn’t acceptable to allow or say, and how people are brains first and without your brain, sex is just like scratching yourself. It came with the sex talk, because I wanted him to know about things like taking control of contraception, taking the condom with him when he leaves, consent before sex even with a girlfriend and also what parts of his body are for sharing in a loving relationship and things that he may want to do to please someone but maybe isn’t comfortable with. That’s all I can think of for now.

I will tell you that this is not a kid who has any trouble telling anyone anything. He’s had girls tell him he was a fox and catcall him and his response was “They don’t even know me, or they wouldn’t be doing that.”
I find that my brothers, cousins and nephews are all pretty confident. It’s the girls that lose it, sometime in their tweens, and start to question themselves in relation to others. Of course it is changing over time, but at least my eldest has no problem telling a girl to back off, even if she’s joking.
[/quote]

This is off topic, so I apologize, but I couldn’t let it go without telling you what a beautiful gift you’re giving your children, Connie.

And I think you’re right. Before I even read this response, I was reflecting that the messages that I as a parent want to impart to my kids are the same regardless of their sex: Respect yourself and others, know your boundaries, listen to your instincts. I think the best thing they could grow up to be is confident, kind adults.

Thanks for sharing this!