Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Lori
Participant

Hi, I don’t post often, however I really enjoy the respectful, entertaining and enlightening discussion here! Sorry if this is rambling – writing is not my thing!

I know I come from a very different perspective than most – I was born in 1960, and often feel like a “fossil” among my peers – I guess, at least it is by my choice. I come from a place of preferring face to face conversations, as I have had too many experiences where cell phones, texting, facebook, etc. have contributed to negative experiences.

It has been my experience that if we are not careful, and deliberate about how we use technology and social media, – for many of the reasons already stated here – it can ruin interpersonal relationships of family, friends and acquaintances. They contribute to many of the problems mentioned including – saying whatever is in your head without a filter, words and pictures out on the web that cannot be taken back, and my particular rant – basically losing relationships with family and friends because you choose not to be on the “latest” hot social media – you are left behind.

Until recently, I had a flip phone, I still do not have a smart phone and I have only recently joined the ranks of those on Facebook (hence the “fossil” comment) – I have been a hold out – I finally caved because my youngest son was working out of state with poor cell phone and internet access – and I was missing out on the few photos he’d post. I had an interesting discussion with him regarding my issues with Facebook, etc. I told him that I didn’t want to have my personal info, photos, etc. out on the internet with the potential for being passed along to who knows where. He couldn’t relate – his comment was “what do you have to hide?” – I said – nothing and that’s not the point! He’s 19yrs old and a great kid – but wow what a different point of view!

It is truly amazing to me (in my cave) that so many people are ok with so much about them and their young children (who by the way have no choice about their “cute baby butt pics”) being out on the internet.

Having said all of the above, I have had a few positive experiences being able to share and learn from people from all over (which is a privilege I appreciate!) – including this one!

“And I think I can get anyone new to reveal something personal without even trying, don’t you think? ; )”

Rachel – does this count as personal – so I don’t have to be nervous any more?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Lori.
  • This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Lori.