Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: Dragonfly in Amber: Book Discussion and Show Expectations

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion Dragonfly in Amber: Book Discussion and Show Expectations Reply To: Dragonfly in Amber: Book Discussion and Show Expectations

khenlow
Participant

Hi all, I’m brand-new to this Forum, and this is my first post. Skimming everyone else’s comments, I have been impressed by the thoughtfulness and respect that abound here. It’s quite lovely to see.

I am in the middle of reading DiA now, and completely agree with NWeiss that Voyager is what I am really holding out for… I see DiA as a “bridge” story: it moves us from Jamie & Claire’s “courtship” through to the reality of their marriage and their choices, while setting us up for the rest of the series (perhaps it’s Diana’s “course correction” book where she transforms Outlander from one book to an ongoing story). I see the introduction of Roger, Master Raymond, and Fergus as the critical elements, which are important later on. I find parts of Paris interesting, but am perplexed as to how the production team will adapt the book (it’s so dense!) into 13 episodes (that’s why I don’t work in TV, I guess!), as there is so much to shift through. The most important thing I will want to see is why Claire wants to go back… DiA needs to be convincing enough that you understand that it’s worth the risk (and sacrifice) to return.