Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

wbloak
Participant

I haven’t been on TW for long, I don’t follow many people, no one follows me intentionally, and I have no real reason to tweet, but I share your concerns about what has been happening with the OL fandom on TW.
When I first read OL and joined TW (this past summer), I knew something was different. I tried desperately to analyze it. I wrote a 5-page outline for an “article” on my various obsessions stemming from my immersion in the OL world – the books, the characters, the show, the actors, and Twitter itself. I never wrote the article, but I’ve seen various parts of it throughout your blog posts here.
I’ve been watching the Outlander universe implode for months. I feel bad for DG and the original book lovers who built it up to be a place where OL fans could find each other. Now it is a random, scary place with hidden and overt insults, whining, catty cliques, and all kinds of stalking. There’s also a bit of judging, mothering, and arm-chair quarterbacking under the guise of being helpful for those who might not know better. I am certainly guilty of the latter, but thankfully not out loud.
I tried to brave it out, looking at it as a sociology experiment and telling myself how “interesting” it all was. Social media is its own beast and I am not sure that we’re supposed to tame it. But, over the weekend, I finally had enough with feeling bad about myself and mortified by others’, so I decided to just stop watching the Outlander fandom. I do want to get off of TW completely, but it still holds a bit of value for me outside of OL.
I’ll climb my peak in March (wherein I’ll reward myself with an Outlander re-read), I’ll watch other TV shows while _patiently_ waiting for April (and season 2 in 2016), I’ll get casting news when Starz is ready to tell me, I’ll read a few blogs that have proven to be respectful and fun (that’s you ConnieBV), and I’ll continue to enjoy catching glimpses of the personalities of the people I follow and the business of creating a TV show.
For those of you with greater fortitude than I have, I appreciate your efforts to understand what is happening, to be good people, and to find ways to continue your love for OL.