Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

MrsParker
Participant

When the show was running, Roxanne Gay, an author whose previous work I’d liked and respected, did some of the most horrible, objectifying, dismissive-of-book-readers, plot-is-the-thing-that-gets-in-the-way-of-sex-scenes recaps I’d ever seen on Vulture (New York Magazine)’s site. It was an odd fit as Vulture is usually respectful of TV shows and values their place in entertainment news. After a few weeks, the regular forum participants decamped and found new homes on io9 and other places (and that led me to find a lot of interesting new sites, including this one). But there were new commenters who came to Vulture in our stead who liked her work and took up roost.

I like That’s Normal, but I understand the criticism you’ve laid out. Much like Roxanne Gay’s recaps, it’s not for everyone. I don’t think they have a single managing editor who would set the theme and tone for the overall branding message, so their posts can vary in regard to opinions on fandoms and such.

With Outlander’s large fanbase, I’m glad that we can find our own places that speak to our tastes and preferences. Out of curiosity, Beth and Connie, are there other sites you recommend?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by MrsParker.