Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

WatchrTina
Participant

I recall the interview where Diana made that comment about Sam’s arse. It was the 92nd Street YMCA panel. Going strictly from memory (I watched it via live streaming) my recollection is that Sam & Cait were asked about the difficulties of doing nude scenes / sex scenes (a frequent question for them) and in that discussion Diana mentioned that she had seen the dailies from the wedding episode and that Sam and Cait had done a great job. Then she said “Honesty compels me to mention that you have a great arse.” Unless I’m mistaken, Sam’s reaction was to laugh and then high-five her. They later left the stage walking side-by-side, with his arm around her, chatting. It was clear to me that they get along very well and Sam wasn’t troubled in the least by that comment. To my mind, the most disturbing moment of that panel came from the audience when someone, noting that Sam and Cait had to do a screen test of their “chemistry” together, asked if Tobias and Sam also had to have a “chemistry” test. I think it was meant as a joke — people laughed — but if you know what transpires between Jamie and Black Jack near the end of book one, that question was in incredibly poor taste.

One more example of the relationship between Diana and Sam. I recall Diana tweeting to Sam a few months ago saying words to the effect of “Hey Sam, you remember how people kept e-mailing me random photos of you when you were first cast? Well now they are sending me photos of your arse with random tattoos photoshopped on.” To which Sam replied “Yeah? Like what?” and the inimitable Diana replied, “Well, you asked for it <grin>” and tweeted — to Sam and all her followers — a photo of Sam’s arse with a fake tattoo.

Based on all that, I have no problem with Diana’s comment in that panel. It’s pretty clear to me that Sam didn’t have a problem with it either.