Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

barbc624
Participant

[quote quote=6007]Is anyone else disgusted with the lack of tact that happens when anyone OL tweets something, then the flood of “look at me…look at me” tweets start to fill up the replies…replies that have nothing to do with the initial tweet? There have been so many occasions that I’ve refrained from responding at all to avoid being lumped in with the “attention” tweets. I know that’s just part of social media, and a huge reason I left facebook.

I’m terrified that I’ll look back at this moment in my Fandom history, and feel the way I do about my time in the Twilight fandom. I met some great people, then things got weird, and then even weirder…then I started asking myself why I actually enjoyed the books to start with. Someone mentioned the etymology of the word fan being fanatic…and well…that really is an accurate explanation for the issues that have brought about this discussion. I’m determined to keep my participation in fandom positive and productive, and appreciate everyone here for doing the same.

I’m doubly grateful for Connie’s input towards Terri’s blog post, because it was said in a very respectful way to remind us that it is even more important for our critical discussion to be inclusive and open to debate if we want to make a positive impact on the issues at hand. That is not to say that I expect everyone here to be a part of any social movement, but that being critical of how we respond to negative or hurtful behavior can be the great equalizer in this discussion.

So I guess this is my ” I love you guys ” post. /group hug[/quote]

Gah – you are in my head!! I just posted on the same topic which to me runs hand in hand with the objectification thing.

Hugs!!