Terry Dresbach

Outlander Costume Designer

Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

Home Outlander Costuming Discussion Forums General Outlander Discussion On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry) Reply To: On the Objectification of Sam, et al. PART II (added per the request of Terry)

barbc624
Participant

As requested a rpost of my comments on the other thread.

I saw this as well and in fact invited the author to come over here and join us. I’m pretty selective about who I follow on Twitter so I guess I miss a lot of the drama, thank goodness. Although I did stumble onto a twitter dialogue once about Sam that made me shudder and creeped me out. I got out of there fast and am sorry to say I didn’t engage, but the tone of what was going on was just too nasty and it seems others who had tried to dialogue were really harassed over it. I just didn’t have time to deal with that right then. I’m sorry to hear this stuff is rearing it’s ugly head once again.
Maybe it’s time to reread some of the excellent posts on here about how to try to open a dialogue and maybe make some of the ones who do this realize how they are coming across.

…and i try always to think about Edmund Burke’s quote “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” If we don’t stand up against the act of objectification we are condoning it. As long as we don’t judge the person, we can and should judge their actions and behavior that are wrong. That is an important distinction.

I’m just glad we have this safe space and such great participants in it – thank you again Terry!!

Barb